PM stresses need to build sustainable wood material zones
17:20 | 22/02/2019

VGP – PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc has highlighted the need to prepare clean, sustainable and stable wood material sources to realize the dream of making Viet Nam a woodwork workshop of the world and a centre for manufacturing wood furniture of high quality and legal origin globally.

PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc speaks at the forum - Photo: VGP

The Government leader made the statement at a forum held by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) in Ha Noi on February 22 to review the success of the wood and forestry product processing and export industry in 2018 as well as to discuss measures to boost the export turnover in the future.

PM Phuc highly appreciated the contributions and breakthroughs of the wood and forestry product processing and export industry to the nation’s economic growth last year, as the export value of wood and forestry products reached US$9.4 billion, of which the trade surplus amounted to US$7.1 billion. In addition, there were more than 4,500 enterprises involved in forestry product processing activities.

He stated that the target of over US$10 billion in export revenues from wood and forestry products in 2019, as set by the MARD and ministries, is rather modest compared to the industry’s potential and development room.

Viet Nam’s wood and forestry product exports currently account for just 6% of the global market share, with the other 94% remaining yet to be exploited, the leader said. 

Photo: VGP

He directed the MARD to coordinate with the Finance Ministry and relevant agencies to implement the support of about 100,000 tonnes of rice to the people in the provinces with forests and capable of planting forests in the time ahead, so that they will feel assured to focus on growing wood material areas for exports.

PM Phuc stressed the need to fully tap into the advantages of free trade agreements (FTAs) for the export wood and forestry product industry, in addition to building large and legal raw material areas.

Businesses were encouraged to step up the application of science and technology, especially the automation systems, while renovating equipment, diversifying product designs, economically using materials and building trademarks for Vietnamese wood products, in order to conquer the demanding markets.

By Vien Nhu

  Reader opinion
Turn off Vietnamese typing Automatic typing Telex VNI VIQR  
Fullname Email address